Foster Park Brokers Inc. is a truly independent insurance brokerage. As one of Western Canada's largest independent insurance brokers, we are able to provide a team focused and rewarding work environment. What makes us different? We strongly believe in cultivating an environment of collaboration, innovation and integrity - key ingredients to our continuous growth. Foster Park has a supportive environment and believes in a culture that truly embraces work-life integrity, allowing you to enjoy your career as well as other important areas of your life (like family and friends)!
Our experience and expertise comes from a talented and enjoyable group of people. We are always searching for those individuals who are passionate about what they do and believe in working together to achieve results. We offer a great place to work and provide a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. Plus, we have a positive work environment, where we work hard but we still love to have fun!
Foster Park is seeking an In-House Underwriter.
Reporting to the Marketing Manager, this role is responsible to provide day-to-day underwriting. Through analyzing new business, renewals and endorsements, this role will be empowered to assess exposures and hazards as determined by a review of the underwriting data, and according to underwriting guidelines, authority limits and company standards. The successful candidate for this position should have 3+ years experience as an underwriter with a strong understanding of commercial insurance, the market place, work flow processes and systems. If you believe in doing the right thing, the right way, with integrity and excellence, this is the right opportunity for you!
• Manage, strengthen and grow a book of profitable commercial business
• Quote and authorize business within established corporate guidelines and delegated authority parameters
• Participate in underwriting meetings, formal/informal presentations and Insurer visits
• Interact with Account Managers/Account Executives for all transactions
• Negotiate coverage and price with Account Managers/Account Executives within capping and deviation authority limits
• Attend industry related seminars and events as necessary
• Maintains a high service level to Account Managers/ Account Executives and responding to their inquiries on a timely basis.
• Maintains knowledge of company Underwriting policies, philosophy, procedures and standards and understand and execute segment strategies to produce budgeted results.
• Monitors and assesses competitive factors in the market and keep informed of changing market conditions to report to management.
• Delivers underwriting profit, organic growth, and target revenue budgets.
• Develops a strong understanding of the various solutions that can be offered through the network of markets and Lloyd’s relationships
• 3+ years’ experience commercial lines underwriting
• Firm technical understanding of moderate commercial underwriting theory and to be able to apply this knowledge in day-to-day practice
• Production revenue and profitability focused
• Highly engaged
• Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Organized and strong time management skills
• Self-directed and easily adaptable to change
• Ability to exercise sound judgment in risk selection
• Strong decision-making skills and ability to bring creativity to underwriting risks
• Strong business development and sales skills
• Develops and maintains productive working relationships with peers, clients, and industry networks
• A strong work ethic, good organizational skills and the ability to work within a team environment.
• Strong time management skills, goal oriented, and self-directed
• Proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook